At The RGS Qatar we are firmly committed to developing the whole child. RGS Qatar pupils are encouraged to develop good social skills and to have respect for others. They are taught good manners and the difference between right and wrong.
In line with our school values and the development of our pupils’ learning habits, our youngest children are also taught how to learn by being encouraged to explore and think for themselves.
We provide a supportive pastoral environment which meets individual needs and promotes the development of happy, considerate pupils. Children succeed best when they feel happy, cared for and comfortable in their surroundings and have clear boundaries of expectations.
The pastoral care of all the pupils is coordinated by every class teacher and is overseen by the Head of School and Deputy Head. Pastoral care is the cornerstone of the RGS. Our philosophy is clear – a happy child that feels safe, cared for and valued will learn and thrive . . . and that is what we do here at The RGS Qatar.
The House system is at the very heart of school life at the RGS and the pupils derive great pride and enjoyment from their sense of identity through their involvement with their House.
Each pupil is assigned to one of the six Houses on entry to the School and each House has its own distinctive character and colour and is led by members of the teaching staff, who are also allocated a House to support. Parents and families are encouraged to wear their child’s House colour and support their child at our main House events.
Through the ‘House’ system our pupils belong to smaller groups within the whole school community and participate in numerous competitions which include competitive sport and music activities. Pupils proudly wear their House T-Shirts for regular House events and assemblies and can earn House Credits for good work and behaviour. Inter–house competitions provide opportunities for friendly rivalry and help to bolster team spirit and House identity.
There are six Houses in the School –Beckingham (red), Austen (yellow), Nettles (green), Powell (purple), Valpy (orange) and Hamonde (blue) – named after six prominent men who have played a significant role in the history of our school and have been important benefactors.
Robert Beckingham was a Tudor wool merchant. It was his will of 1509 that marked the beginning of the history of the Royal Grammar School, bequeathing funds for either a priest to say prayers for his soul or failing that to ‘ make a free scole [school] at the towne of Guildford’. The sum was the considerable amount of £20 per annum, and by 1520 the RGS, Guildford had been established using Beckingham’s generous endowment
John Austen, a former Mayor of Guildford, Surrey, was responsible for moving the School to its present site and oversaw the construction of the Old Building during the 1560’s; ‘beinge all of Brick and Stone of a stronge and faier buildings of three storyes highe covered with Horsham stone ’.
Joseph Nettles was a 17th century landowner who by his will of 1691 endowed the School with land in Stoke, the rents of which were to maintain the son of a freeman of Guildford at Oxford or Cambridge – ‘taught and fitted for the University in Guildford free grammar school, and who has read and learned some Greek author and been well instructed in the Latin tongue ’. This was the first university scholarship provided for pupils of the School.
The Powell family were longstanding benefactors to the School. When the School was faced with financial ruin in the 1880s, TW Powell staved off disaster with a gift of £1,000 whilst his son Herbert Powell presented lands at Boxgrove and Allen House field to serve as playing fields.
The Reverend Arthur Valpy, Rector of Holy Trinity Church, was the driving force behind the preservation of the School when it had fallen into material and financial decay in the 1880s. The committee he chaired successfully raised the funds needed for the repair of the School buildings and its rejuvenation as a place of learning.
William Hamonde was a Mayor of Guildford who, in the reign of Elizabeth I, lacking heirs, bequeathed his home and wealth to the School. The Old Building, the oldest existent part of the School was built on this land in the 1560s with financial and managerial assistance from another former Mayor, John Austen.
“Recognition and Awards encourage positive outcomes both academically and socially.”
-Pupil Welfare Coordinator-
Every Thursday our school community comes together for the weekly ‘Achievement Assembly’ which recognises and rewards pupils who have worked exceptionally hard during the week. Pupils who have demonstrated one or more of our sixteen RGS ‘Learning Habits’ through achievement, progress, kindness, good manners or excellent all-round behavior, are presented with a ‘Superstar’ certificate.
Good manners are expected at all times in school and pupils who demonstrate excellent table manners and healthy eating habits throughout the week are invited to join the Head of School for lunch on the weekly ‘Top Table’.
Trophies are also presented to the ‘Class of the Week” for attendance and on time arrival and all awards are presented to rapturous applause.